Are Dried Flowers Toxic For Dogs?

Are dried flowers toxic for dogs?

Flowers come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and while they are definitely beautiful to look at, they can also be hazardous to any of your furry friends who may try to nibble on them. Flowers and plants are often overlooked by owners as causing harm to their pets, which is why it is so important that you stay informed on what plants can and cannot enter your home! 

In this article, we have accumulated all the knowledge you will need about poisonous and non-poisonous flowers to keep around your dogs, and how to identify the early symptoms of plant poisoning. 

Make sure you keep a pet first aid kit handy in case you find yourself in a scenario where they may have ingested a poisonous plant. If you do suspect this to have occurred or notice any peculiar symptoms in your dog, then please seek immediate veterinary assistance or contact animal poison control!

What flowers are toxic to dogs?

Here we have compiled a list of flowers that are dangerous/poisonous for dogs, so if you are sending a bouquet of flowers to a friend with a pup, or you have one yourself, these are the flowers that you need to avoid: 

  • Eucalyptus 
  • Amaryllis
  • Azalea
  • Lavender
  • Peonies
  • Baby’s Breath
  • Begonia
  • Tulips
  • Solidago
  • Carnations
  • Cyclamen
  • Daffodil
  • Lilies
  • Delphinium
  • Sweet William
  • Campanula bells
  • Clematis
  • September
  • Asparagus Fern

These flowers range from causing your pup's tummy or skin irritation to being extremely harmful and deadly - so avoid them at all costs! If you are unsure whether or not a flower is poisonous for your furry friend, it is always best to do your research before bringing them into your home - it is better to be safe than sorry!

What will happen to your dog if they eat flowers that are toxic to them?

If your pup consumes a flower or plant that is toxic to them, they will start to show some telltale signs of plant poisoning. This is beneficial to you as a pet parent, as it will give you ample time to take your dog to the vet or get other immediate assistance. But what are the signs you need to look out for?

Common symptoms of plant poisoning include: 

  • Weakness
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Trouble breathing
  • Excessive drooling
  • Lethargy
  • Agitation

It would be beneficial for your veterinarian if you could identify the exact flower or plant that your pet has consumed. If you are not sure of this, take stock of all flowers and plants that have been in your pooch’s vicinity. Identifying the flower early on can be helpful in determining the correct treatment for your pup. 

What flowers are not toxic to dogs?

On the opposite side of this, we have compiled a list of flowers that are dog-friendly, so you can still decorate your home, or send a gift to a loved one without the worry of causing any unwanted harm to your pooch! 

  • Freesia
  • Roses 
  • African violets
  • Orchids
  • Snapdragons
  • Waxflower
  • Greenbell
  • Pansies
  • Petunias
  • Sunflowers
  • Zinnias 
  • Gerbera daisies
  • Limonium
  • Pussy willow
  • Veronica
  • Erica
  • Olive

Shop our Pet Friendly range of flowers here.

How to keep your dog away from dried flowers

You shouldn’t have to choose between having a beautiful bouquet of dried flowers and looking after your furry friends, but chances are you may be apprehensive to treat yourself to a floral arrangement as you won’t want your pup to accidentally knock them over and have a nibble on them. 

Fortunately, you don’t need to completely give up on having a gorgeous arrangement to decorate your home. As we have listed above, there are a great variety of pet-safe flowers that won’t bring any harm to your pets if they get their hands on them. However, if you are still worried, we have a few useful techniques that you can use to ensure your flowers and pets remain separated at all times! Let’s go…

  • Simply keep your flowers out of reach!

  • As a dog owner, you probably know how your pooch can sometimes get overexcited - or as we like to call it, the zoomies! This can lead them to run at high speeds around your home, leaping around your living room and jumping on your sofa, which is all good fun until you find your beautiful new bouquet of dried flowers all over the floor. In order to prevent this from occurring, try keeping your flowers somewhere high up or out of reach, where it will be unlikely that your furry friend will cross paths with them. Try keeping them in a bookcase, or they could even look wonderful on your kitchen counter.  

  • Make sure your pet has access to alternative toys.

  • The main reason why your pup will try and get to your blooms is that they offer everything a toy does - they can chew on them, play with them, and make a mess with them around your home. If you have recently found your pup playing with your flowers, perhaps consider that they might not have other toys accessible to them. Keeping their toys somewhere that they can see and access is essential to ensure that they are being properly stimulated and entertained and can prevent them from going after alternative ‘toys’. 

  • Add a drop of lemon essential oil to your vase. 

  • A common tip plant lovers use to detract pets from attempting to chew on their plants is by spraying them with diluted lemon juice. Lemon juice is an effective method as many pets don’t enjoy the smell, making it a natural deterrent. However, we do not recommend you spray your dried flowers. Dried flowers are extremely delicate and if they come into contact with water or moisture, can start to weaken, rot or mould. Instead, you can try adding a few drops of lemon essential oil to the bottom of your vase. This will have the same effect as using actual lemon juice, and as a benefit, will make your home smell divine. 

    Frequently Asked Questions around: Are dried flowers toxic for dogs? 

    Why is my dog eating dried flowers?

    You may have noticed that your furry friend has taken a liking to munch on your beautiful dried bouquets in your home. This could be for several different reasons. They may enjoy the taste of your flowers, or they may be nauseous and looking to find a way to relieve the symptoms, or they may simply just be bored. There are many ways you can prevent your pooch from continuing this behaviour, such as keeping your flowers in hard-to-reach places, or introducing more stimulating toys to keep their attention away from your blooms. 

    What are the symptoms of plant poisoning in dogs?

    Common symptoms of plant poisoning in dogs include weakness, vomiting, diarrhoea, trouble breathing, excessive drooling, lethargy, or agitation. If you notice any of these symptoms or suspect your dog of having ingested a toxic plant or flower, please seek immediate veterinary assistance or contact animal poison control. 

    Do dogs know not to eat poisonous flowers?

    Like cats, dogs instinctively know not to eat certain things that can kill them. Most dogs will avoid eating toxic plants or flowers, however, accidents can still happen. It is in their nature for dogs to be curious, especially for young dogs or puppies, so make sure that the plants and flowers you have in your garden and bring into your home are safe for your pups. 

    How long does it take for a dog to start showing signs of plant poisoning?

    Signs of plant poisoning often appear immediately in dogs, but other symptoms can take up to three hours after ingestion to manifest. These may include vomiting, diarrhoea, excessive drooling, weakness, trouble breathing, or even agitation. If you suspect that your dog has ingested something potentially toxic, it’s crucial to seek veterinary care immediately, in order to get the best prognosis.

    Shop This Blog Post